Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What They Don't Tell You About Vegas: What Bugs?

I had been living in Las Vegas for around 6 or 7 years when I realized that not every parking lot had a broken sprinkler problem.  I guess I had been living my whole life thinking that cicadas didn't exist because I never saw them.



If you have no clue what I'm talking about, watch this video.  I seriously thought this noise was air escaping out of a broken sprinkler head.  Nope, when it gets hot cicadas get chatty here in Vegas.  Although, to this day I still don't think I've ever seen one in person.

Occasionally a fly will get into a restaurant and ruin your meal.  Sometimes you don't spray well enough and you find the cat playing with an almost dead cockroach on your floor.  I had never seen a cockroach before moving here, and although they are a little too quick for my taste, they aren't as bad as a mouse.  They are small enough to squish and go about your day, and not creepy crawly like spiders are.

All this bug talk aside, Vegas is too dry to really support a real bug and vermin population.  There are no mosquitoes, mice, or rats.  You hardly ever run into a bee or fly.  It's something that is so awesome, that you almost forget until you go back home to visit.

A friend of a friend went to a weekend trip to Montana for a wedding.  When asked how it went, he pulled up his shirt to reveal that he was totally covered in bug bites, swollen from the waist up.

Say what you will about how crappy Vegas is, but our lack of bugs is pretty freaking awesome.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by SuckMyLolly.com