Monday, November 19, 2012

I'm a Culture Snob: The Keating Hotel in San Diego



I'm not what you'd call a hotel snob.  I'm pretty much excited if it comes with a free continental breakfast and a bed that's not as hard as a rock.  But as I've gotten older, a nice hotel has become important, if not necessary, for me to have a good time on vacation.  If I don't get a good night's sleep I'm not going to have fun while I'm awake, it just comes down to that.

When we went on our vacation to San Diego we were willing to pay a little more to get something nice where we could actually sleep.  We did a little yelping around and found The Keating in the middle of  the Gaslamp District.

The Gaslamp District is what I feel like downtown Vegas should be; cozy, fun, full of places to go.  Not stepping over a homeless man who may or may not be dead.  I wish I was kidding about that, but it happened to me in downtown Vegas just last weekend.

We checked into the hotel after a day at SeaWorld, and they valeted our car for an extremely high price.  I watched as they drove it away, and they just have a private lot in the mall parking less than a block away.  I heard if you want to leave your car overnight with the mall itself, it's about 1/3 of the price.  Oh well, live and learn.

The lobby is small, with a steam powered elevator.  The hotel is that old, however it underwent a complete makeover recently by Pinifaria, so the whole hotel feels like the inside of a Ferrari, and I mean that in the nicest possible way!  Red is the main color, and the carpets are lush and beautiful.

We opened the door to our room and music was already coming out of our alarm clock, welcoming us into a one amazing room.  This hotel is for couples, as there really is just one room, with the shower in it and just a small room for the toilet.

We did have a great big comfy California King bed, with crisp white linen sheets.  The whole room was equipped with a Bang and Olufsen sound system, pretty decent number of channels, and an espresso machine.
Yep, not kidding.

Because it is in the Gaslamp district, who tends to party all night, the Keating is very open and honest about the whole thing, they even provide earplugs;



They worked perfectly and we slept like babies.  Which left us refreshed and ready to tackle the San Diego Zoo the next day.  I would highly recommend this adorable hotel.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by SuckMyLolly.com