Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Guest Post: Getting Crabs and Liking It.

I have a love/hate relationship with cuisine in Las Vegas. On the love side, I am astounded by the types of food that come here from all around the world. It makes sense, too; after all Las Vegas is one of the biggest tourist destinations to be found. More importantly, it's a luxurious destination. The kind of place you want to save up a bunch of money and try all kinds of things you can't get back home.

Case in point, Crab Corner located on 4161 S. Eastern Ave. Two brothers from Maryland come rolling on in to Vegas with a passion. They serve crab. They serve crab they way they understand it, which is fresh and plentiful. It's an approach I can get behind. They have the most wonderful crab cakes because... wait for it... They're almost all crab!!! I know, weird right! One of the things that drives me nuts around here is that if you order a crab cake in most places, you get something that is mostly cornbread and onion, some whitefish, then a little crab for flavor. But these guys are crazy!! They do all crab with just enough batter to hold it together and impart some spice and a nice crust.  They also do some other Maryland style sides (try the boardwalk fries with the malt vinegar) to round it out, but it's mostly about the crab.

This brings me to the hate portion.  While it's great to be able to have food from all over the world within a 20 minute drive, what do we have.  I can't think of anything that we could take with us if we should leave the valley for other lands.  Except maybe alcohol by the yard, but I'm not so proud of that.  There's not really a "Vegas style" sandwich or fries.  No Vegas BBQ, no Vegas chili, no Vegas pizza.  I realize that's the price we pay for living in the desert, but it still makes me a little sad.  Oh well, I guess I can always cry into my bowl of Falafal, or maybe some Chicago deep dish, or Memphis BBQ, or...

-The Neon Beast, Guest Blogger

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by SuckMyLolly.com