Monday, February 28, 2011

Castle of Cakes Cupcake Class!

Last week I used my Groupon for a Cupcake decorating class at Castle of Cakes.  I drove right by it because I didn't expect it to be in the world's smallest strip mall.  It turns out they just moved there a few months ago, and don't even have a sign on the building yet.

Sonya Washington is the owner of Castle of Cakes.   She started out making a party for her son 29 years ago (though she doesn't quite seem old enough for that to be possible) and turned it into a business.  She's been in Vegas for about 10 years now, and she has many levels of classes for decorating cupcakes.

Being a complete n00b, I started out with "Cupcakes I," the most bottom of all cupcake classes. She showed us how to fill up the bags properly, and the difference between the different tips and how they make different designs.  Even though the class was 3 hours long, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of all that I can do with the tools we learned about.  Sonya was very helpful and patient with the class, which I'm sure is hard to do for someone who is so far advanced.  She "dumbed it down" for us perfectly, and I really felt like I learned a lot.

We did a couple of different types of cupcakes, including a 3-D cupcake we made into a shoe.  That one was pretty labor intensive, but I was pretty proud of my results, even though she pointed out I had done a pretty sloppy job.  I got bored, okay?  Obviously I'm not cut out for this kind of stuff, but now I know if I have a gun to my head, I can make an elephant cupcake.

She's still a struggling business, so friend her on Facebook and consider taking a class.  Even if you suck, you won't regret it!

My Results:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by SuckMyLolly.com